EEA family member

EEA Family Member

Family members of an EEA national live in the UK are able for permission to be granted leave to remain.




  • The person you will be accompanying or joining is from the EEA but not the UK
  • Your are from outside the EEA
  • You are one of the family member, such as wife, husband, civil/unmarried partner, child, grandchild, parent, grandparent or a dependent extended family member of the person you will be joining in the UK
  • Your EEA family member must be working, a jobseeker, self-employed, studying, self-sufficient or have a permanent right of residence.


How long it lasts


An EEA family permit is valid for six months. You can leave and enter the UK as many times as you need within that time. You can extend this leave before your leave expires. If you apply this leave inside the UK, you will be given five years leave.