Tier 1 (Entrepreneurs)
The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) system is designed to allow migrant to invest in the United Kingdom by setting up or taking over, and being actively involved in the running of one or more businesses in the UK. It gives an opportunity for application of permanent settlement after 5 years of continuous stay in the country.
The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa will be granted for a period of 3 years at initial stage. After the initial 3 years, migrants on the scheme are entitled to apply for 2 further years.
An applicant must score:
|English language||10 points|
|Maintenance (Funds)||10 points|
Attributes – Initial Application
- You have access to no less than £200,000. (25 points)
- The money is held in one or more regulated financial institutions. (25 points)
- The money is disposable in the UK. (25 points)
Attributes – Extension Application
- You have invested no less than £200,000 in cash directly into one or more business in the UK. (20 points)
- You have registered with the HM Revenue & Customs as self-employed; or registered a new business in which you are a director; or registered as a director of an existing business within 3 months of the specified date. (20 points)
- You are engaged in business activity at the time of extension application. (15 points)
- You have established a new business or businesses that has / have created the equivalent of at least 2 new full-time jobs for persons settled in the UK; or you have taken over or joined an existing business or businesses and your services or investments have resulted in a net increase in the employment provided by the business or businesses for persons settled in the UK by creating the equivalent of at least 2 new full-time jobs. (20 points)
English Language Requirement
10 points are awarded if:
- you are a national of a majority English speaking country; or
- you pass English language test which meets UKBA’s requirements; or
- your qualification is recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a UK Bachelor’s degree which has been taught in English and was taken in a majority English country.
10 points are awarded if you have required personal savings which must have been held for at least 3 months prior to date of application:
- at least £945 if you apply in the UK; or
- at least £3,310 if you apply outside the UK
*Please note that Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) applicants may not use any money included in their £200,000 investment as evidence of maintenance funds.
A spouse will be eligible for dependency visa provided they will be cohabiting with the main applicant of the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur). Children under the age of 18 years will be eligible to apply as a dependant.
All dependants must provide evidence that they meet the maintenance requirement, which is at least:
- £630 if the Tier 1 Entrepreneur migrant has been in the UK for 12 months or more; or
- £1,890 if the Tier 1 Entrepreneur migrant is outside the UK or has been present in the UK for less than 12 months.