Tier 2 (General) replaces the previously named work permit system involving sponsorship by a UK based employer for a skilled job to fill in the gap in the UK workforce that cannot be filled by a settled person. This category also includes intra-company transfers, ministers of religion and sportspersons.
- The Tier 2 (General) is designed for migrants coming into the UK with a skilled job offer to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker.
- Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer) is for employees of multinational companies who are being transferred by their overseas employer to a UK branch of the organisation
Only individual who has been issued a Certificate of Sponsorship by the employer who holds a sponsorship licence are able to make a Tier 2 application.
Shortages of certain professions are published and updated regularly. UK based employers are able to sponsor these migrants under this category without having to advertise a vacancy in the UK.
- Tier 2 Entry Clearance: 3 years will be granted or the period given in the Certificate of Sponsorship plus 2 month, whichever which is shorter.
- Tier 2 Extension under the same job with the same sponsor: 3 years or the period given in the certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.
- Extension under all other cases: 3 years or the period given in the Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.
- According to current rules, the Tier 2 visa only can extend to total 6 years.
You must have at least 50 points for your attributes to be able to apply.
Points are awarded according to:
|Sponsorship||30 – 50|
|Qualifications||0 – 15|
|Future expected earnings||0 – 20|
English Language Requirement
You must have 10 points for English language. In order to qualify to claim points for English language, you must:
- be a national of a majority English speaking country; or
- pass an English language test on our list of approved English language tests; or
- Hold a degree that was taught in English that is equivalent to a United Kingdom bachelor’s degree or above.
*Please note that if you apply for permission to come to the UK under Tier 2 (Intra Company Transfer), or extending your stay, you do not have to meet the English language requirement if your extension does not take the length of stay to more than 3 years.
10 points are awarded if you have required personal savings which must have been held for at least 3 months prior to the date of application, at least £945.
A spouse will be eligible for an application as a dependant provided they will be cohabiting with the main applicant of the Tier 2. Children under the age of 18 will be eligible for a dependency visa.
All dependents must be able to provide evidence that they meet the maintenance requirement, which is at least £630.